Sunday, September 27, 2015

Wicked Weather Preparedness

This is part of my go bag
Honestly, I haven't made a
72 hour kit yet.


How is it that I, the queen of preparedness, could possibly miss that there's a hurricane heading my way?  I guess I should start watching the news more!

Hubby asked me one day if I was keeping an eye on Erica.  I didn't have any idea what he was talking about!  I ended up spending all day the next two days making storm preparedness plans.

Of course Pinterest came into play.  I had already set up a disaster board, (link Here), but nothing on it specifically for hurricanes.  I scoured Pinterest and the Internet and quickly put together a disaster plan!

My advice if you live in an are where natural disasters are forewarned?  Have a checklist.  Keep as much of your go bag packed or together as you possibly can, but for the stuff you will need in between, have a checklist so you don't forget any of it!  I even have the pets food and leashes on the list!  I'm going to print my list and keep it in a plastic sleeve so I can check off the items as I pack, and then erase when I'm done.  

For disasters that aren't necessarily forewarned, make a copy of your pertinent information, ie insurance policies, medical information, special instructions, and keep it in a safe place so you can grab it and go.

In Georgia, where we used to live, we would get tornadoes.  When we would have a tornado watch issued, I would have the boys pack a go bag with some items that they would like to take with them if we had any damage and couldn't go back home.  Mostly it was a boom and some small toys.  My go bag contained all of the other stuff.  A change of clothes for the boys, the imprtant info, etc.  I would have those sitting by the stairs with their bicycle helmets in case we had to seek shelter.

As I'm not an expert, the best advice I can offer is to pay close attention to the experts in your area.  Keep a weather radio that has battery backup (cell phones aren't always going to work right after a disaster), and use common sense!

Do you guys have any preparedness plans?  Share them with me, maybe I can learn something new!

Stay safe, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment