Wednesday, September 23, 2015

How to Train A Cat

Meet Molly Freckles 


I'm not sure that's possible (how to train a cat), but I have to try. 

Molly is the newest addition to our little family.  She looks so tiny and cute and innocent.  Wrong!

We quickly figured out that she's feral.  She has never been socialized.  She's also only 4 or 5 weeks old when we got her, way too young to leave her mother, but we have her anyway, and I have to step up and be a kitty mommy.  It was time to learn how to train a cat.

I did some reading, and a kitten this young isn't difficult to train, it takes patience.  When it comes to animals, I have patience in spades.

First stop, the vet.  She had an upper respiratory infection and worms, so there was a two week period where she was quarantined so as not to infect the dogs.  The people took all the precautions in the world, too.

During those two weeks I sat in the floor and let her play and get used to me.  I bathed her (as she was still too young to really do that on her own).  She doesn't really like getting a bath, but it still happens when she starts to smell like dog slobber (Cali loves to lick on her.  Thank God she's well now).

It's been almost two months since we inherited her, and she has done very well assimilating.  She has caught on very well, and is now allowed to roam the house instead of being locked in the bathroom.  We still have to watch her because there's renovation going on, but she stays out of trouble most of the time.

So, I guess a cat can be trained.  I think this girl is going to do very well in this house!


No comments:

Post a Comment